Sunday, August 18, 2013

Dressmaker 205 White or Dial n Sew Sewing Machine


Dressmaker sewing machines have many makers, Some look like other machines. I have seen White Sewing machines that look almost identical to some Dressmakers, ( White 408s is close to the 205 and also the Dial n Sew ) I have Also seen Universal Sewing Machines with the Dressmaker Logo. Most have "Deluxe" Parts. 

The Machine is Avocado Green in Color with a cream secondary,but instead of being from the 70's, I believe this one is from the early 50's.  It has a Mid Century Modern (great new phrase everyone uses) Look to it. Lots of  Chrome Like a 57 Chevy would have.  It makes it a stunning machine to look at, with its shiny green enamelware,Chrome features, and Black contrast plates.

The Model 205 Dressmaker. Serial Number 54301.  It came to me a little dirty,and at a fairly low price from the Canton, Texas Goodwill because they could not get the machine to move.  ( The bobbin was in incorrectly) .  It came with a case and a metal foot pedal, a bobbin and 2 spools of Dritz thread.
Here are the Before and after posts.

The manual can be downloaded from a site called Dressmaker manuals Online for $10.00 or you can order a hard copy or a CD. I could not find any free manuals for this machine, But I bet the manual is a standard manual.

Here is a little about the Machine and the Clean up:


Finished Dressmaker 205


Finished Dressmaker 205 with Foot Pedal & Cords ,Thread and
Needle 
Machine's Light Switch is on the Backside. I love to turn the little knob to switch it on. The turning knob switches of the past are great.  The light is bright and Makes the work space very easy to see. The Machine's motor is pretty quiet. Of course without the machine in a table it has normal vibration.  Less so in the case. The motor runs smooth and the needle goes up and down with ease.

The Bobbin Winder Works great and the Bobbin thread winds perfectly. I had a pic, but I think it never loaded. 

This is a side loading Bobbin machine, it is also a side loading needle. or I think they call it a left loading needle? Not sure. 

PROBLEMS

I had some trouble with the dial to get the Zig zag stitches.  The knob has 2 screws that hold it in place. I do not know why they could not have made the inside knob with a flat piece so the pins did some good.  Instead it trys to strip the knob pin no matter how tight you try to get them.  I put some plumbers tape on the inside metal piece then put the dial back on and tightened it with a better screwdriver. Also, none of this will do you any good if you don't first turn the wheel in the back until it releases what ever mechanism it has to prevent you from changing things as you sew.  I found this out the hard way.  

I am hoping the tape will do the trick.  The man at Home Depot thought that it would... Yee have little faith, but I cross my fingers and spend my $1.98 for the tape.  I hope it will hold, but i am warning the buyer of the machine about it in the Ad when I sell it.  I may even give them a langth of the tape in a little package.  

The Stitch Lengthen knob has no front cover. This knob also has the push button  reverse mechanism by pushing the pin in the center. (I am at a loss for the correct wordings for these parts, can you tell? )

The only other problem I encountered of course is the Tension. It is my pet peeve not to be able to set it with 5 of my machines so far, which means I have to sell them at a bit of a discount because I cannot get it correct.  One of these days, I will come to an understanding with these machines, and they will cooperate. 

I have included tons of pics. Most of the websites that I have come across no not give enough pics to browse through. It is my wish to give out this pictoral for anyone who needs it.  I wish I had a thread diagram for you, but since I cannot get the tension right, who is to say that I did not thread it correctly?  

So, This is my latest work. I think the Dressmaker is beautiful. I do believe it is a White Machine, and I think that it has many years ahead of it with a seamstress who will love her. I am happy that I was able to work on her and make her beautiful once more.
This is a page I found on the internet.
The Stitch lengthening knob is also a little hard to turn. Work with it and I am sure it will get better. The plumbers tape works so far with the Zig Zag Knob.
This is what the machine looked like when I opened the case.


Before I cleaned the Race,Feed Dogs


Another angle of the uncleaned Bobbin Holder ,Feed Dogs, Etc


Lady with her Top off





Model 205 and light switch





Bobbin Winder Without Cover 


Finished Top view dressmaker 205


Finished Front View Dressmaker 205


Another View DressMaker 205


Needle Plate View Of Dressmaker 205 Blog refuses to turn image


Turned Open Cover of Front of Dressmaker 205


Back View of Finished Dressmaker 205


Motor View of Dressmaker 205


Motor upclose plate Dressmaker 205





BackSide View Dressmaker 205 Sorry it is Sideways


View of the undercarriage of  Dressmaker 205 


Dressmaker 205 Cleaned up and Ready to Dance 


In the Case and Ready to Go Dressmaker 205 

6 comments:

  1. Just bought one of these on Craig's list. Only checked to see if it turned on and didn't have thread with me. It has a really nice stitch the first 5 to 6 stitches, Then the threads no longer connect like it is out of timing. Will need to take it to a repair shop. But I love the sound of it and hope the timing can be adjusted. Don't break you back lifting it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I just bought one of these great machines. It seems the timing is off or someone changed the needle placement. Also it is set as a high shank for the feet. Everything I have read looks like it should be a short shank. The motor runs great. Do you have measurements for the needle bar placement or the foot bar placement? I don't know why anyone would change that. The machine looks like it has never been used, all shiny and no scratches. I found a manual online but it does not have any of the timing information. The needle bar does not have any markings for placement as as I have seen in timing directions. Thanks for any information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you This is the first page I've found that gives me the information I needed. I also have the same machine from Goodwill. I'm preparing to oil and lube and check out her stitches but first must find a foot for she came with no feet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just picked up a 205 ... do you happen to know when they were made?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just bought a Modern Home Model 205-1 that looks completely identical to this except the black and white grid pattern is faux wood instead. if every single component is exactly as the dressmaker, is it safe to assume that information about the dressmaker can be used on this machine? My search for a manual from Modern Home has been fruitless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a 205 in a cabinet that I purchased through mail promotion in the 70's. I let my mil use it. Needless to say it needs a good cleaning. Also need a manual. Haven't seen one in a cabinet yet.

    ReplyDelete