Saturday, August 10, 2013

Singer 5808c

Singer 5808c 

I bought 2 of these machines for a Dollar Each yesterday in Quinlan, Texas. 
Both are in bad shape.  But, For 1 Dollar each, I thought at the least, I could get some parts off of them.
 The First one in the picture cleaned up pretty well, but unless i scrub the rust off the needle drop and the presser, Plus getting small parts like a new Bobbin winder tire,spool nut, And Felt , i was going to use it for parts. The wheel turns, and I oiled everything more than i should because of the way it was treated, but the wheel turns hard.  There is likely no way that the motor would be able to compensate for this. I will try it anyway.  It the motor is able to work through the hard part so the oil can penetrate , then there is hope.  If not, I have a newer model c that can use the plates and the bottom tray. Plus if the belt is good i may use that also. maybe even the motor.  I hate to part machines out, but this one may be better off. 
The  second one, below, is in better condition. This way a photo of after i cleaned some of the muck off the bottom table.  I will show pics of after wards here too.  The machine works well, I need to order a bobbin tire ( apparently these need to be replaced most, especially if the machines are left out in the sun or in a hot shed.  It also needs a spool pin, it holds the spool of thread on the pole.  It came with one, but it is broken .  Without it, your spool will not stay on and you will have no luck getting any sewing done.  

The First one, After Cleaning 
The Second Machine, Cleaned and Ready. Still needs Bobbin Tire and Spool Pin
Both of these machines should not have been mistreated. They are considered good machines for beginners and did not need to be ruined inside someones shed. It is sad to see this, and I rescue machines just to try to clean them up. Something as useful as a sewing machine should not just end up in the trash.  Sewing is a skill that i wish I had learned as a child. I believe my mom would have taught me if I was less of a pain in the ass when It came to learning new things.  I believe a loose term for my learning disability is "Learning Anarchist" If I don't Understand something, I try really hard to make it impossible for anyone to teach me.  It is so bad. So now, I try to learn on my own. I feel stupid for not just sticking it out , and just learning  when I had the chance.  Actually I think It was a form of ADD, But I hate to use that term that everyone seems to jump to for all their problems.  
The Second machine as received I had already taken the
plate off the bottom 
First one, In bad shape.  As received. 
So anyway, Here are the pics of the machines as I received them.  The pics went out of order, But I guess that is ok. 

I will post and show pics when These are sompleted.  The first one is almost for sure going to be for parts. the second one, I have ordered the Spool pin and the tire , and new felt for the spool, I am getting new bobbins, downloading a manual and finding some attachments before selling this.  
Here she is ready to sell. replaced bobbin wind tire,spool pin. Gave her 2 extra bobbins  plus the wound one inside. a new spool of thread a new needle.  


here are the stitches right now. Will need some adjustment, but they look pretty good. 

here is the open bobbin case 




5 comments:

  1. The machine works well, I need to order a bobbin tire ( apparently these need to be replaced most, especially if the machines are left out in the sun or in a hot shed. It also needs a spool pin, more details

    ReplyDelete
  2. This machine is pretty durable if proper care is taken like timely oiling, cleaning etc.
    my homepage

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where is a good place to find one. I'm starting to quilt and she will be using this machine. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    my homepage

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know your projects stand out of the herd. There is something special about them. It seems to me all of them are really brilliant! Dehumidifier Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking for extension table for 5808C

    ReplyDelete